As a busy mom, dinner time can be a challenge. It’s the end of a long day and you’re tired but everyone is hungry and needs to eat ASAP. You’re tempted to pick up the phone and call for fast food delivery. If only you could make a decent meal that can be ready in minutes because your kids whining is escalating by the minute and pestering for pizza.
The thought of ordering takeout, again, is depressing because you want to eat healthy but it’s almost 7 pm and you don’t have dinner on the table.
I’ve got good news for you, preparing a healthy meal doesn’t have to take a long time.
Keeping your kitchen stocked with fast prep foods is the key to fast but most importantly, healthy meals. On your next grocery shopping trip, pick up plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits you and your family can eat raw. Include, nuts, seeds and healthy fats like olives. Pick up a variety of safe and nutritious canned or jarred foods like legumes and fish. Don’t forget quality eggs, and dairy.
It’s 100% possible to prepare a healthy and delicious meal in only five minutes. I don’t mean the pathetic freezer burned microwaved pasta in a tray; I mean fresh whole foods that will satisfy.
Stuffed Avocados with Miso Soup
You can never go wrong with avocados. It’s packed with nutrients and pleases even the most discerning palate.*
- Halve 1–3 medium sized ripe avocados
- Chop one red pepper and one green onion, (save some onion for the soup)
- Mix chopped pepper and onion in a bowl with a can of flaked tuna.
- Fill each halved avocado with the tuna and veggie mix and top with shredded cheese (optional).
For miso soup, scoop 1–2 tbsp of miso paste in boiling water from a kettle and stir until dissolved. Top with the remaining green onion and you’re done! Optional, add fresh fruit on the side for a sweet finish. Enjoy!
The Loaded Salad with Creamy Lentil Soup
The title might sound intimidating but it’s super easy, anyone can do it.
- Fill a salad bowl with your choice of greens (mixed, spinach, arugula).
- Add your choice of fresh veggies like cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, or sliced peppers.
- Add one ripe avocado anyway you like it.
- For more protein, add hard-boiled eggs if made ahead of time and crumbled feta (optional). Top with cashews or pine nuts for crunch and drizzle your choice of oil or vinaigrette.
Preparing the creamy lentil soup is easy. In a blender add one can of cooked lentils, one clove of garlic, a handful of cashews, salt/pepper to taste and blend until smooth. Place in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish on high for 2 minutes. Serve and done!
The Ultimate Tuna Melt
It’s a classic that’s so easy to make.
- Grab any whole grain bread you have available at home. It can be sandwich bread, bagels or buns. Make sure they’re whole grain and full of fiber.
- In a bowl add 1–2 cans of flaked tuna, chopped green onion, diced tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
- Scoop the tuna mix on each bread slice and top with shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven and set to a high broil for one to two minutes, keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Once done, set aside to cool while you add your side of choice, pickles, coleslaw, salad, and or fruit.
Olive & Herb Flatbread with Arugula Salad
This meal doesn’t require cooking or heating but if you have an additional five minutes to spare, you could put the flatbread in the oven for toasting.
- Take 1–2 flatbreads and top with kalamata olives, fresh herbs like basil, rosemary and oregano, and feta (optional).
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a salad bowl, add one container of pre-washed arugula, add cherry tomatoes, feta and your choice of nuts or seeds.
- Drizzle with olive oil or vinaigrette and you’re done!
Sweet & Sour Tempeh with Brown Rice Vermicelli.
This meatless dish will not disappoint. It’s hearty and full of flavor, try it!
- Start by boiling 4 cups of water in a pot, add brown rice vermicelli.
- While the vermicelli is boiling, heat coconut oil in a pan add pre-cut pineapple chunks, green pepper, soy sauce, brown sugar or maple syrup, garlic, and fermented tempeh.
- Mix ingredients until tempeh, green pepper and pineapple are well coated.
- Turn off heat, cover and let sit while you strain the vermicelli.
- Top vermicelli with the sweet and sour tempeh mix. That’s it!
No matter how crazy your day was at least you can enjoy a decent meal that doesn’t take a lot of time or effort. No more eating pizza for the third day in a row, no more whiny kids and no more wasting time trying to figure out what to eat. You now have dinner meal ideas handy for those days you need quick and easy meals that are healthy, not junky. Now you can relax and enjoy your evenings with the family without the guilt or the bloat.